The Persimmon Grant 2022
During Pride 2022 and always, we are celebrating and supporting LGBTQ+ AAPI artists. Recognizing that Queer, Trans, Non-Binary, and Gender Nonconforming people have not always been embraced among AAPI communities, we're looking to shift that narrative and plant seeds that nurture our QTAPI (Queer + Trans Asian Pacific Islander) community. We invite non-LGBTQ allies to support our QTAPI community this month and beyond.
This month, we’re providing space to this community for reflection, authentic storytelling and positive change. To do this, we’re offering the Persimmon Grant again! This year, we are offering $600 individually to at least two upcoming QTAPI Bay Area-based artists. Just as enjoying persimmons requires care and patience to really enjoy the sweet, ripe fruit, we're investing in these artists with the goal of our QTAPI communities reaping the rewards. Grantees have the option of a mini “digital residency” program as well, but participation in the digital residency is not required to be eligible to receive funds.
Apply Now (apps closed June 20)
We do not require a budget or specific plan to use the money. The granted money should be used to support the artist’s creative practice. This could include supplies, materials, art classes, workshop fees, renting out studio space, website hosting fees, etc.
If you're not quite ready to apply but want to check out all of the questions in one spot, click here to see all of the application questions.
If typing out an application is inaccessible for you, you can set up a voice/video application appointment.
Not QTAPI but want to support? Donate to our QTAPI Joy Fund!
- Individual visual artists, poets, and/or short-form writers, 18 years or older
- Visual mediums can include painting, illustration, digital art, sculpture, metalwork, collage, textile arts, ceramics, fine art photography and more
- AAPI Heritage or Descent (Pacific Islander, South Asian, Southeast Asian, West Asian, Central Asian, East Asian, Refugee, Adoptee, Mixed Race)
- Identify as LGBTQ+
- Based in the San Francisco Bay Area
- Self identify as an upcoming/new/unestablished artist, current students encouraged to apply
- Artists who are low-income, undocumented and/or belong to marginalized communities are strongly encouraged to apply
- Must have digital portfolio website* (can use free versions of sites such as Wix, Wordpress, Behance)
- Fill out application by deadline
- Application open Friday June 10 through Monday, June 20, 11:59 PM Pacific Time
- Awards will be announced by June 30, 2022
- Grant money will be awarded by October 30th, 2022
- For those participating in digital residency, we will be posting + showcasing work through Summer 2022
*Why do we require a portfolio website link? We want to help and support QTAPI artists thrive. We strongly believe that an online portfolio website is key for an artist’s career growth in creative fields. If you do not currently have a portfolio, we encourage you to use free versions of websites such as Wix, Wordpress, or Behance to create a portfolio for this application. We won’t judge you on the design/aesthetic of your portfolio, so don’t worry about making your portfolio website look “perfect.” Please upload anywhere between 5-10 works into your portfolio.
Do I have to be living in the Bay Area at the time of applying to be eligible?
Our grant is open to artists based in the San Francisco Bay Area (Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara counties). We totally understand that due to these trying times, your living situation may be in flux. Please be specific about your situation when applying. The grant is open to anyone:
- Currently based in the Bay Area
- Who is student whose origin is in the Bay Area but currently located elsewhere due to your school
- Who is a student who is currently located in the Bay Area due to your school’s location
- Currently not in the Bay Area, but are otherwise usually based in the Bay Area and planning on returning
If I receive the grant, what can I use the money for? Do I need to provide a budget?
The grant money is given with the intention of supporting the artist’s creative practice. This could include supplies, materials, art classes, workshop fees, renting out studio space, website hosting fees, etc. A budget or project plan is not required to apply.
I am an artist but I am not sure whether my mediums qualify.
At this time, we are accepting applications from visual artists, poets and short-form writers. Visual arts can include (but are not limited to) painting, illustration, digital art, sculpture, metalwork, collage, textile arts, ceramics, fine art photography. For writers and poets, we are able to evaluate applications from those who have short-form works such as short stories, essays, poems and similar in their portfolio.
We have these restrictions in place as we are best able to support creatives in these fields/mediums at this time. However, if you think some portion of your work falls into these mediums, we encourage you to apply! Applicants will not be disqualified for not fitting into the eligibility requirements exactly.
Typing out long forms is difficult for me. Is there any other way to apply?
The application was designed to be filled out in 15 minutes or less. If typing out an application is challenging or otherwise inaccessible for you, you can set up a video/voice application. Please note: we prioritize the needs of people with disabilities/ disabled people, and neurodivergent individuals for voice/video application appointments. The purpose of this meeting is to facilitate the grant application process, and should not be considered a grant approval or decision. We prioritize the needs of people with disabilities/ disabled people, and neurodivergent individuals for voice/video application appointments.
Who won last year?
Artists Cairo and Menaja won last year! Click here to learn more about last year's winners.
What do you mean by digital residency?
I am not QTAPI but I want to support this effort!
Yes! We're calling on all non LGBT allies to support the QTAPI community by donating to our QTAPI Joy Fundraiser. Every bit helps!
I still have questions!
Email us firstname.lastname@example.org ♡